Saturday, April 10, 2010

Stepping Out on a Needle and a Stitch!

This is not actually my work, but I do have this pattern, as it is one of my all-time faves! It criss crosses in the back, and I love to trim the diaper cover with ruffles on the backside! This is an awesome spring/summer outfit!


I grew up in the Deep South, and if I didn't know better, I would believe that I was born wearing a smocked bishop dress. My mother learned to sew from my Great-Grandmother and my Grandmother, and I was their "dress up doll". I loved every minute of it, and I have always coveted their talents. My lack of sewing talent as a teen/young adult was not due to their lack of trying. Adolescence was mostly to blame. Anytime you you put 2 grown women in a sewing room with a left-handed 13 year-old, the apron is bound to turn out with a few abnormalities.

Anyway, several years ago, I needed some curtains. Marc looked at me endearingly and simply stated, "Well, you better call your mama and learn to sew". I didn't call mama, but I did call a friend to ask to borrow her machine. Several days and 3 broken sewing needles later, my girls had new curtains hanging in their bedrooms. Ask anyone who lives with me or who has stayed with me for an extended period of time, the machine is always threaded, I always have at least 2 projects going at once, and my girls have made me pinky promise that I will not smock them anymore dresses or make them anything else with a Peter Pan Collar.

Luckily for me, I am acquainted with several babies who don't seem to mind the collars, monograms, and smocking. Luckily for me, the greatest heirloom supply shop in the south is still in business in Mobile, and she has a WEBSITE!!! Luckily for me, I am not an adolescent anymore, and my mama's hints and tips really work! Luckily for me, I have figured out how to turn a "right handed" pattern upside down and backwards and produce adorable dresses, bubbles, etc.

Luckily for you......I am ready to actually sell my creations!! Luckily for you.....I will customize, right down to the buttons and snaps!

Check out the photos of two basic patterns. These usually take a week to make, shopping to delivery. Prices are: $20.00/garment, newborn -9 mos. $35.00/garment, sizes 12 mos.-2T. $45.00, 3T-6 years. $55.00 7-16 years.

I will post photos and details of all patterns available. This is a work in progress, so keep checking back!

***Keep in mind that the photos below are for reference only. ****







This is only a sample. It is NOT my work. I pulled it from the PBJKIDS scrapbook. I do have this pattern, and it can be made to your specifications.
This is NOT my work, but I do have the patten, and I can make this to your specifications.

I DID make this little suit. I am addicted to these for this Spring! They are so cute and versatile. They can be worn with a onsie or as shown. This bubble suit features a lined bodice, buttons on the shoulders and snaps in the crotch. It is accented with ruffles across the behind in a fuschia gingham and white piping on the leg openings. My pattern is 0-24 months.
I DID make these for my girls this Christmas. Notice there are no collars, ribbons, or smocking! This is the jumper view of a very versatile pattern, available in sizes 7-16. This view features a scalloped bodice, lined with coordinating gingham and attached to the skirt with ruffle trim. There are NO buttons, zippers, or snaps, and it slips easily over the head and hangs loose but not baggy. The pattern features approx. 10 variations, and some include sleeves, long or short. It can be "dressed up" for a special occasion or all the way "down" for a school picture! It can also be worn as a sundress. I can make it reversible, and it is monogrammable. "Fine accents", such as lace, inserts, entredeux, and ribbon, can always be added for extra charge.

THIS is ALSO MY WORK. This is the Bonnie Blue "Bailey" pattern. I purchased the pattern from PBJKIDS, and it ranges in size from infant thru 6, I believe. It features a hidden buttton placket in the back, which results in a nice pleat. This material was also purchased from PBJKIDS, and it is great to sew on!! However, any cotton material will work. As stated in the jumper description, this one can be dressed up or down. I will post a photo of the pattern and of the back of the dress asap.

1 comment:

  1. You may browse www.peanutbutter-n-jellykids.com for patterns and ideas. I love this shop, and I order most of my patterns from them. They also have beautiful fabric, trims, and notions that I can order for you.

    ReplyDelete