Monday, September 12, 2011

Inspiration

Sometimes I will post more than one blog in a week. Other times, there will be weeks or maybe even months between entries. It's not because I am lazy or too busy, and it is definitely not because I don't care.
You see, I have loved writing all my life. I actually majored in Journalism for 3 of the 4 years of college. However, when I was approached by another student to write his research paper for him and discovered that he was a senior and couldn't even put together a suitable paragraph, I sprinted to the College of Education and begged them to let me into Secondary Ed. I had heard the calling to teach people to write. After some begging, pleading, and promising to take 26+ hours for the next 3 semesters, I left the fast paced world of Journalism/Editing. After calling the Wall Street Journal and declining my pending internship, I said a prayer asking for grace and MERCY on my life, and I began driving down the road to the classroom.

After a successful career path switcheroo, I graduated from The Capstone in my self-allotted 4 years, and I entered the 7th grade Literature Classroom. I loved to read, but my passion was still writing, and we did A LOT of it!! I served the 7th Graders of Bay Minette, Alabama for 2 years, and there was inspiration all around me. Besides the O.J. Trial, there were some tragedies that hit close to home. My track team and my sweet students also kept me on my toes. In the middle of it all, I became engaged. It was bittersweet, because while I loved my husband dearly, it meant moving to Birmingham. It meant leaving my students. Of course, they planned and celebrated with me, even on my Wedding Day. Now, 15 years later, most of them are married and have children of their own. Several of them still keep in contact with me. They are still my inspiration.

"Paint Me A Birmingham" is our song. We loved everything about it. We had arrived. I truly believed that it was the biggest city in the South. I met new friends. I went to Grad School. I taught at 2 schools....one Middle School, and one Elementary School.
I had 2 babies. The inspirations kept on coming, and so did the lesson plans, homework, diapers, and bottles!

Then, in June 1999, we moved to the biggest city in the South. We became residents of
Atlanta, GA. My home became my classroom.
Now, 12 years later, people ask me where we want to retire.
I simply respond, "Paint Me A Birmingham". It is still my inspiration.

Every morning, as I make breakfast for my family, I put the water in the kettle, flip the stove dial on "high", and anxiously wait for the whistle. Just a year ago, the kettle was solely for hot tea for the grown ups and cocoa for the girls. Now, as the kettle gurgles before it whistles, I prepare 4 cups. I gently place tea bags in 2 of them, hanging the tags over the cups' lips. The other 2 cups are for my girls' coffee...Starbucks Via. While this scenario alone lends great inspirations, I also get a little something extra from the grown ups tea bags each day.
One may have an "aha" statement.... PATIENCE GIVES THE POWER TO PRACTICE; PRACTICE GIVES THE POWER THAT LEADS TO PERFECTION.
One may have a "feel good" statement...EVEN CLOUDY DAYS CAN HAVE A SUNNY ENDING. Others my have a direct command...OBEY, SERVE, LOVE, EXCEL.

Now, don't misunderstand. These tea-bag inspirations don't take the place of my daily devotions with God. They just add to them. ...


PATIENCE


Moreover [let us also be full of joy now!] let us exult and triumph in our troubles and rejoice in our sufferings, knowing that pressure and affliction and hardship produce patient and unswerving endurance.

Romans 5: 3

In order that you may not grow disinterested and become [spiritual] sluggards, but imitators, behaving as do those who through faith (by their leaning of the entire personality on God in Christ in absolute trust and confidence in His power, wisdom, and goodness) and by practice of patient endurance and waiting are [now] inheriting the promises.
Hebrews 6: 12



HAPPY ENDINGS


Psalm 23
A psalm of David.

1 The LORD is my shepherd, I lack nothing.
2 He makes me lie down in green pastures,
he leads me beside quiet waters,
3 he refreshes my soul.
He guides me along the right paths
for his name’s sake.
4 Even though I walk
through the darkest valley,[a]
I will fear no evil,
for you are with me;
your rod and your staff,
they comfort me.

5 You prepare a table before me
in the presence of my enemies.
You anoint my head with oil;
my cup overflows.
6 Surely your goodness and love will follow me
all the days of my life,
and I will dwell in the house of the LORD
forever.


OBEDIENCE

If anyone serves Me, he must continue to follow Me [to cleave steadfastly to Me, conform wholly to My example in living and, if need be, in dying] and wherever I am, there will My servant be also. If anyone serves Me, the Father will honor him.

John 12: 26


So.....I may or may not write everyday. I have to be inspired. While inspiration is all around me, I am often blind to it, whether I am caught up in my duties or simply caught up in my inner self. As we know from living 10 years after 9/11, challenges may be brick walls, but they are not un-scaleable! My challenge is to be more aware of the inspiration around me so that I can share them. My family feels strongly that I should write a book....how can I write a book if I don't get out of myself?






No comments:

Post a Comment